The tradition of eating Glutinous Rice Dumplings or 粽子 or Bak Chang to honor Qu Yuan, a famous Chinese poet known for his patriotism in 278BC, is so synonymous with Dragon Boat Festival (端午节), that sometimes we conveniently refer it as dumpling festival lol.
It falls on every 5th day of the 5th Lunar month, which is on 20th June for year 2015.
Even though these sticky rice treats are available all year round, it is usually during this season when most Chinese restaurants will
I love to eat bak chang, I just don't like to look like one haha. Here are some dumplings which I've been stuffing myself with this year.
Marriott Singapore Tang Plaza Hotel
It's no secret that I love anything "truffled", so you can imagine my happiness when indulging in Marriott's Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant's Black Truffle with Pork Belly & Dried Scallops rice dumplings which comes with luxurious slices of black truffles! Equally gratifying is their signature Pork & Salted Egg dumpling, an all-time favorite of luscious pork belly, salted egg yolk, mushrooms, black beans and chestnuts intricately wrapped in flavorsome glutinous rice. There is also the Spicy Sambal rice dumpling for a little spicy kick, and Vegetarian 5-Grain rice dumpling which encompassed a variety of multi-grains with vegetarian bak kwah, carrot, black fungus, turnip braised peanuts and cabbage. If you're getting the rice dumplings to be given away as gifts, the gorgeous gold box-carrier will most likely bring a smile to the receiver's face.
- Black Truffle with Pork Belly & Dried Scallops Rice Dumpling - $18 per piece / $168 for box of 8 pieces
- Pork & Salted Egg Rice Dumpling - $12 per piece / $118 for box of 8 pieces
- Spicy Sambal Rice Dumpling - $10 per piece / $102 for box of 8 pieces
- Vegetarian 5-Grain - $9 per piece / $96 for box of 8 pieces
Available for dine-in and takeaway till 30 June. Prices are inclusive of 7% GST. At least 2-day advance reservation required.
Address: 320 Orchard Road, Singapore 238865
Contact: +65 6735 5800
TAO Seafood Asia
TAO Seafood Asia may have offered their rice dumpling in just one flavor, but it's like an ultimate version luxuriating with premium ingredients such as whole 10-head abalones from Australia and dried conpoys from Japan. This Abalone & Conpoy rice dumpling is for you who like an intense umami flavor of dried scallops, as well as tender juicy braised pork belly and mushrooms. Best savored with TAO's addictive Thai-Teochew green chilli sauce, making this delicacy an exemplary classic with a Yaowarat flair.
- Yaowarat Abalone & Conpoy Dumpling - $18.80++ per piece
Available for dine-in and takeaway while stocks last.
Address: 12 Marina View, Asia Square Tower 2 #02-10, Singapore 018961
Contact: +65 6844 9969
Savory as well as sweet rice dumplings, Peony Jade has it all. I'm more inclined towards the savory selections, especially their all-time best seller Steamed Nyonya Dumpling with minced pork and candied melon which really packed a loadful of flavors. The Steamed Cantonese Style Dumpling with Kurobuta Pork is another well-executed pleaser with chestnut, salted egg yolk, braised peanuts and Chinese mushrooms.
- Steamed Cantonese Style Dumpling w/Kurobuta Pork - $9.80++ per piece
- Steamed Hokkein Style Dumpling w/Salted Yolk Dumpling - $8.80++ per piece
- Steamed Hokkein Style Dumpling w/Mushroom Dumpling - $8.80++ per piece
- Healthy Vegans Multi Grains Dumpling - $8.80++ per piece
Perennial Favourites & Signatures
- Cantonese Steamed Dumpling w/Premier Conpoy, Pork Belly, Mushroom, Salted Egg Yolk, Chestnut & Mung Beans - $20.80++ per piece
- Steamed Nyonya Nasi Lemak Dumpling w/Chilli Anchovies - $14.50++ for 3 pieces
- Steamed Nyonya Dumpling w/Minced Pork & Candied Melon - $8.80 per piece
- Chilled Pure Mao Shan Wang Durian Dumpling - $9.80 per piece
- Steamed Kee Zhang w/Salted Gula Melaka Dip - $3.90++ per piece / $10++ for 3 pieces
All prices quoted are subject to 7% GST. 10% service charge applies for dining in.
Peony Jade @ Keppel Club
Address: Bukit Chermin Road, Keppel Club (Level M), Singapore 109918
Contact: +65 6276 9138
Peony Jade @ Clarke Quay
Address: Blk 3A Clarke Quay $02-02, Singapore 179020
Contact: +65 6338 0305