Beer... what again? Beer Growlers! Dictionary.com will throw up several definitions for growler, but in this case, it refers to "a pitcher, a pitcher, pail, or other container brought by a customer for beer".
Yes, you can now "dabao" (local slang for takeaway) freshly-tapped, quality draft beers back home to drink. The beautiful tinted glass bottles provide us this flexibility not commonly found in retail shops, all thanks to Amber Nectar, a casual bar and beer specialist at Robertson Walk who introduced this relatively new concept in Singapore recently.
Already popular in the US, as well as Russia, the growler is purported to have made its first appearance as metal buckets in 1930s America.
Amber Nectar is the first in Singapore to import and use these sturdy Russian-made Pegas growler stations. Once the bottle is fixed to the airtight tap, it is immediately pressurized with carbon dioxide while being filled. This prevents oxidization and loss of carbonation, maintaining fresh, frizzy beer. As soon as the bottle is full, it is immediately capped and handed to the buyer, making the entire process very efficient and hygienic.
Opened since 2013, Amber Nectar prides itself in serving a wide range of 20 unique styles of beers mainly from Germany.
4 variety of draft beer are available for taking away in a growler including the full-bodied lager Hofbräu Original ($36 per growler / $31.20 for refill), the darker style Hofbräu Dunkel ($44 per growler / $39.20 for refill) which is spicy in flavor, as well as the fruity Münchner Weisse ($36 per growler / $31.20 for refill), a German Hefeweizen (unfiltered wheat beer) which is so refreshing and easy to drink.
The Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen ($48 per growler / $43.20 for refill) left the deepest impression with its distinctive smoky finish. I thought I was drinking bacon for a moment! Lol!
I do not profess to be a beer expert, but if you ask me, here are 5 Reasons To Give Amber Nectar's Beer Growlers A Try:
1. It's a Great Alternative To Canned Beer for takeaways! Just as convenient, we can enjoy quality German draft beer in the comfort of home. Fans of draft beer, rejoice!
2. The Bottles Look Outstanding, certainly a conversation starter at any gatherings! Brown glass is used to keep out UV rays, ensuring the beer remains as fresh as possible.
3. Each growler can store approximately 4 pints of beer. Properly capped, it can be kept for up to seven days in the refrigerator. Perfect For Stocking Up Ahead for any gatherings or housewarming parties.
4. Convenient Refilling Locations In Singapore. Apart from Amber Nectar at Robertson Walk, we can also purchase and refill the growlers at four other locations namely Joo Bar, Salute Casual Dining, The Tiong Bahru Club, and The Namly Club. More are expected to be added by end of the year.
5. Lower Price For Refill. We also receive a new bottle when we return for a refill, with the draft beer going at a lower price. So worth it!
Of course, we can choose to enjoy the beers in chillaxing surroundings of Amber Nectar which regularly screens major sporting events such as football matches and Formula 1. That's when I have the perfect excuse reason to indulge in some popular bar grub such as Truffle Fries ($10) and Crispy White Bait ($12). Being a chicken wing lover, I must must must try the Amber Wings ($12) which delighted me much with its well-seasoned juicy meat. The Spam Fries ($10) was another addictive treat which went exceeding well with the beers.
Some beer for you, maybe? "Yes please!... and more to take away too!":D
Address: 11 Unity Street, #01-10/11, Singapore 237995 (Robertson Walk Courtyard)
Contact: +65 6737 3774
Opening Hours: Daily 5pm-1am