PinkyPiggu not only have a tongue to taste delicious food, but also a nose to sniff out wonderful opportunities to win fabulous prizes too! And of course I'm gonna share it with you, my dear readers! I believe most of you would not be unfamiliar with Electrolux, a global leader in appliances for both household and professional use. They've just launched The Electrolux Home of Blissful Living challenge in October to test the nation's home management knowledge. Just take part in their interactive Facebook quiz and we might just win their innovative appliances worth a total of S$6,500! Sounds good, doesn't it?
I thought it's rather interesting and gladly accepted Electrolux's invitation to find out more about this challenge. On top of that, Chef Eric Low, Electrolux Chef-in-Residence on The Little White Book Facebook page, will be there to give us a cooking demonstration too. I'd be sharing his recipes at the end of this post.
This is what I've found out: From keeping your favorite foods fresh to separating your whites from your colors, The Electrolux Home of Blissful Living will test players on every day household skills, through multiple-choice questions in an interactive game show format.
With an aim to inspire harmonious homes across Singapore, this quiz is set to motivate and educate, providing players with valuable knowledge to ensure they spend more time doing what they are passionate about and less time on household chores. Handy hints and tried & tested tips will be shared along the way, offering advice to those who are less savvy in the home management area.
I followed Electrolux on Facebook and took up the quiz challenge!
I was quizzed in 3 categories: Cooking, Washing and Food Storage. The higher a player scores in each category, the greater chance they will have of winning the latest innovation oven, washing machine or fridge. There are also weekly dining and shopping vouchers to be given away. The Grand prize winner will have his/her home transformed with S$2,500 worth of intuitive appliances from Electrolux!
They've got the tools, have you got the knowledge?
Follow Electrolux on Facebook to be one of the first to take the challenge! : www.facebook.com/thelittlewhitebook
During the cooking demo session, Chef Eric Low taught us 3 dishes: Roast Beef with Truffle Soy Braised Mushrooms, Oven Baked Asian Paella and Fresh Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar & Vanilla Ice Cream. All these are prepared within an hour!
It just goes to show how time in the kitchen can be spent effectively with the right appliances. The beef loin was quickly seared and needed only 25 minutes in the oven. The resulting meat was very tender with an even doneness, I can eat slices after slices of it! The truffle mushrooms were also easy to prepare, the tip we picked up from chef is: Always use good quality sauces. Asian Paella reminds us of claypot rice, except that the rice is baked in an oven! There is no worries of having burnt rice at the bottom, and the aroma is no less fragrant. This is perfect if you need to cook for a big gathering as the oven can accommodate a big pot, while the usual preparation method using rice cooker or claypot cannot. Lastly, the dessert of strawberries with sweetened balsamic vinegar dressing is deliciously invigorating yet so easy to make. The recipe is definitely a keeper!
Here you go! Recipes and chance for you to win attractive prizes from Electrolux! Good luck!
ROAST BEEF with TRUFFLE SOY BRAISED MUSHROOMS
Makes 4 portions
- 800g Beef Sirloin Piece, cut into 3 long strips
- Salt and Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 100g Dried Shitake Mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 300g Honshimeiji or Bunashimeiji Mushrooms, trimmed
- 70ml Light Soya Sauce
- 1tsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 2tbsps Sugar
- 250ml Water
- 2tsps White Truffle Oil
- Season beef loins with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 100⁰C.
- In a hot pan, sear the beef on all sides. Transfer to roasting tray and roast the beef for 25 –35 minutes depending on thickness.
- Place mushrooms and soya sauce in a braising pot. Add sugar and water, bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Add truffle oil to the mushroom mixture.
- Slice the roast beef and serve with truffle mushroom sauce.
OVEN BAKED ASIAN PAELLA
Makes 4 portions
- 300g Boneless Chicken Leg, sliced
- 2tsp MAGGI Seasoning Sauce
- 2tbsps Oyster Sauce
- 2tbsps Cornstarch
- 3tbsps Oil
- 4tbsps Oil for cooking
- 30g Dried Shrimps, rinse and coarse ground
- 50g Dried Mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 300g Yam, cut into 1cm cubes and deep fried
- 450g Rice
- 750g Seasoned Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Spring Onions, diced
- 2pieces Crispy Flat Fish, fried and grounded
- Marinate chicken with seasoning sauce and oyster sauce. Add cornstarch and oil and set aside.
- Heat oil in braising pan, sauté dried shrimps and mushrooms till fragrant. Add prewashed rice and pour in chicken stock. Season stock with salt and pepper.
- When rice mixture comes to boil, add the marinated chicken and precooked yam pieces. Transfer to preheated oven at 180⁰C and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Serve rice garnished with spring onions and sprinkled with crispy grounded flat fish pieces.
FRESH STRAWBERRIES with BALSAMIC VINEGAR & VANILLA ICE CREAM
Makes 4 portions
- 12pcs Strawberries, cut into half or quartered
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 80g Sugar
- 4tbsp Water
- 50ml Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4tsp Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Caramelize sugar with water and add the balsamic vinegar, vanilla essence and black pepper. Cook until syrupy and add in the strawberries.
- Toss well, remove from heat and let the strawberries marinate for 5 minutes.
- Serve the strawberries with vanilla ice cream.
Thanks to AKA Asia and Electrolux for the invitation.
For more news and update, please visit: www.electrolux.com/electrolux-insiders or find them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thelittlewhitebook