Celebrate Lunar New Year the Peranakan way? Why not?
If you're keen on having a Nyonya twist to the upcoming reunion dinner, perhaps you can consider checking out Indocafé, The White House which is known for their spread of contemporary Penang Peranakan cuisine, inspired by the exotic flavors of the spice-rich straits regions.
The restaurant has introduced festive menu sets starting from $280++ (for 3-4pax) to $688++ (for 10pax), and it offers catering services as well if you prefer to dine in the comfort of your home.
The restaurant itself is housed in a colonial building along Scotts Road, a mere stone's throwaway from the bustling Orchard area.
Retaining an old-school charm, its interior is decked with the intricacies of Peranakan-style furniture and art pieces.
Very elegant yet cosy. Got "feel".
Tossing our way into good fortune, our meal commenced with the Glorious Prosperity Salmon Yu Sheng ($48++ for small / $68++ for large).
Besides the usual sauces and condiments, the yu sheng here is paired with strips of laksa leaves, and..... house-made curry sauce! The unusual additions certainly oomphed up the flavors, adding another depth to the typically sweet-based "salad".
We also love the umami saltiness, and distinct smoky flavors of the smoked salmon used for the yusheng.
The dishes that followed were just as enjoyable.
Fish Maw Soup with Prawn Ball Pig Tripe & Fatt Choy was warm and comforting, while the Roasted Chicken with Chef's Signature Sauce was moist and flavorful, even for the breast meat! Best with a dip in the accompanying tangy chili sauce.
Peranakan dishes are well-known for its complexity and addictive sauces, and the Deep-fried Red Snapper with Assam Gulai Sauce is no exception.
This dish was totally spot-on in terms of execution.
The crispy crust of the deep-fried fish serves two purposes here; protecting the moisture of the meat within, and soaking up the lovely sweet, sour and rich assam gulai sauce.
It was zesty, appetite-whetting, and so so so ideal with hot steamy white rice! One bowl was not enough for me lol!
Other highlights from Indocafé's Lunar New Year menu includes a homely Nyonya Steamed Cabbage with Mixed Mushrooms & Pork Skin, and slurpilicious Fried Hong Kong Noodles with Leek, Carrot & Seafood.
The Bubur Cha Cha with Glutinous Ball's sweetness and creaminess was just about right. It was the perfect ending to our meal.
- Book before 31st January 2108 and enjoy 15% off CNY menu (dine-in only).
- Please visit www.thehouseofindocafe.com/contact.html for reservations, or contact +65 6733 2656 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To guarantee the booking, a non-refundable deposit of 50% will be required.
2nd February to 2nd March 2018
- Lunch: 12pm to 2.30pm
- Dinner: 6pm to 10pm
- Closed every Monday / Blocked-off dates: 19th to 21st February 2018
15th February 2018 (Reunion Dinner)
- 1st Round: 5.30pm to 7.15pm
- 2nd Round: 7.45pm to 9.3pm
- To pre-order, please visit www.caterspot.sg/caterers/indocafe-the-white-house
- Islandwide deliveries are available from 2nd January to 2nd March 2018 (except Mondays and 19th to 21st February 2018).
- Please allow at least 48 hours for your order to be processed.
Indocafé, The White House
Address: 35 Scotts Road, Singapore 228227
Contact: +65 6733 2656
Opening Hours:Daily Lunch 12pm-2.30pm & Dinner 6pm-10pm
Prices are stated in Singapore dollars and subject to 10% service charge and 7% GST unless otherwise stated. Information is correct at point of published date.
* Written by BFF, a guy who is desperately trying to find a balance while lost in the world of sights, sound and taste.
* Edited with additional inputs by PinkyPiggu
* Photos by PinkyPiggu
Follow PinkyPiggu on Facebook and Instagram for daily delicious updates!