I love fried rice! It's a one-dish wonder which is so versatile, I can customized it to my preference with whatever ingredients I have left in my refrigerator. There's nothing more satisfying than a plate of fried rice with a good smoky wok hei, but sadly, it's almost impossible to achieve in this PinkyPiggu's kitchen with the induction cooker. The next best thing? To have my fried rice spicy! really spicy!
I had cooked this Kimchi Fried Rice sometime back, and is now posting the recipe at the request of some of my friends. It's very simple to prepare, even for those who seldom cook. Come on , try it! Cooking is so enjoyable. :)
KIMCHI FRIED RICE (serves 2pax)
- Cooked Rice x 2 bowls
- Cabbage Kimchi x 1 packet (200g)
- Dry Shiitake Mushrooms x 5 stalks
- Egg x 2
- Korean Extra Spicy Chili Paste x 4 tablespoons
- Garlic x 1 clove (minced)
- Sesame oil x 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil x 2 tablespoons
- Cut the kimchi into slices, but leaving a small portion intact for topping later.
- Soften the dry shiitake mushrooms in water and cut into thin slices
- Heat the wok, add a bit of olive oil and fry the egg into a sunny-side-up. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add kimchi into the wok and stir-fry until it's slightly dry. Push it to the side of the wok.
- Add olive oil, minced garlic and mushrooms, stir-fry till fragrant.
- Add rice and sesame oil. Mix all the ingredients together and continue to stir-fry.
- Add hot bean chili paste and mixed well.
- Serve the fried rice in 2 individual bowls, each topped with more kimchi and sunny-side-up. Enjoy!
The kimchi and chili paste are available at Korean supermarkets.
Japanese medium grain rice is used for this recipe.